Questions and Observations
- Michael C Sullivan family residence:
- initially at 3 Cross St. moved sometime after 1906 to
- 16 Ross Place….
later moved around the corner to 192 Woodlawn Ave (between 1911 and
- Dennis Sullivan (brother of Michael) moved from Auburn in 1860 to Flushing, Long
- Michael’s brother Dennis was referred to
as Dennis O’Sullivan.
- Ann and Maria Sullivan (Sisters of Michael) were never
- Marie Sullivan lived at 141 Van Anden St.
- The 3rd
grade Josephine in 1895 must be a different family.
- There were 2 Mrs. Sullivans teaching elementary
school in Auburn…up
to 1959….the wives of Charles and Dennis.
- Michael Charles Sullivan was in 1892 appointed
the position of Engineer and Superintendent of heating apparatus at the
Woman’s Prison in Auburn.
He held a similar position at the State Insane Asylum some years before. (Not surprisingly, Auburn
had many insane prisoners, who were often flogged as troublemakers or malingerers.
Hospital was built in the 1830's,
but was reluctant to accept prisoners from Auburn, who could be dangerous and
difficult to hold in custody. The Legislature then authorized a separate
institution and the "State Lunatic Asylum for Insane Convicts,"
the first institution of its kind in the United States, was erected on
the prison grounds in 1859. By the 1880's, the Asylum was overcrowded with
insane convicts as well as those not convicted by reason of insanity, both
male and female. To resolve the problem, Matteawan State
Hospital in Beacon
was built in 1892, allowing the Auburn Asylum to close. The 250 newly
freed beds were used for a women's prison...)
- Dennis Sullivan, ESQ. (the
older) in Flushing, NY was Overseer of
the Poor and Superintendent of the gas works.